On 3/30/07, Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 29/03/07, Atul Vidwansa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>     I am not talking about source(ASCII) files. How about versioning
> production data? I talked about file level snapshots because
> snapshotting entire filesystem does not make sense when application is
> changing just few files at a time.
>
> Regards,
> -atul

It does make sense if you understand how snapshots work. If you only
change a few files, your snapshots aren't going to use much room.

This goes back to file system layout.  If the production data is
housed in the file system where many other changes taking place and
the administrator is only interested in backing up a few of those
files, file system layer snaps will not be "cheap".

What you want is version control, not ZFS snapshots. I highly
recommend you look into them instead.

He mentioned production data and I imagine this could be "big
production data".  Then, CVS and the like will be too heavy and he
needs to re-layout his file system.  At the very least, isolating the
production data into its own dataset will help.

--
Just me,
Wire ...