Now, given proper I/O concurrency (like recently improved NCQ in our drivers) or SCSI CTQ, I don't not expect the write caches to provide much performance gains, if any, over the situation
with write caches off.

Write caches can be extremelly effective when dealing with drives
that do not handle concurrent requests properly.

I'd be interested to see data that shows otherwise.

-r