Yeah, what I had been hoping (and to be honest kinda counting on) was that I
could do a raidz2 across the 7x250GB drives (which is not actually going to
happen since I am going to mirror 2 of them for boot) and then just add
another 250GB drive when more space is needed.

Realistically, I am not going to need that functionality right away, but
have to admit it was one of the reasons I have been touting ZFS to everyone.

Malachi

On 4/8/07, Erik Trimble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Malachi de Ælfweald wrote:
> Hmmm... I definitely missed this one... I thought the documentation
> said that using zpool attach would add a new drive to the existing
> raidz(2) and then it would start resilvering...
>
> Malachi

The man page is a little unclear.  zpool attach is for adding drives to
a mirror vdev (or, creating a mirrored vdev from a single drive).  It is
NOT for use with RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 vdevs (hopefully, in the future...)

Also, to be even more clear, the only way to add devices to a zpool with
RAIDZ/RAIDZ2 is to add another stripe. Which really isn't adding
anything to the RAIDZ vdev. That is, if you have a zpool consisting of a
4-drive RAIDZ, as in:

zpool create tank raidz c1t0d0 c1t1d0 c1t2d0 c1t3d0

you can only expand it by adding sufficient disk to create a whole new
stripe - so, effectively, your data will be striped between the existing
RAIDZ vdev, and the one you add.

i.e.

zpool add tank raidz c2t0d0 c2t1d0 c2t2d0 c2t3d0

So, if you started out with 4 100GB drives in the above config, you'd
have 300GB usable.  You'd then have to add 4 more 100GB drives, and the
final zpool size would be 600GB, with data in striped across 2 4-drive
RAIDZ vdevs.  What most people here would prefer is that you could
instead (if desired) end up with a single RAIDZ2 vdev of 6 data drives
and 2 parity drives, but that is NOT currently possible.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support