Atul,

Atul Vidwansa wrote:
Hi,
   I have few questions about the way a transaction group is created.

1. Is it possible to group transactions related to multiple operations
in same group? For example, an "rmdir foo" followed by "mkdir bar",
can these end up in same transaction group?
Each TXG is 5 sec long (in normal cases unless some operation forcefully closed it). So, it is quite possible that the 2 syscalls can end up in the same TXG. But, is not guaranteed.

If it has to be guaranteed then this logic will have to be built into the VNODE ops code. ie. ZPL code. However, that would be tricky as rmdir and mkdir are 2 different syscalls and I am not sure what locking
issues you would need to take care.

2. Is it possible for an operation (say write()) to occupie multiple
transaction groups?
Yes.

3. Is it possible to know the thread id(s) for every commited txg_id?
The TXG is always synced by the txg threads. Not sure why you want it.

Regards,
Sanjeev.

Regards,
-Atul