Mike,

This RFE is still being worked and I have no ETA on completion...

cs

Mike Seda wrote:
I noticed that there is still an open bug regarding removing devices from a zpool:
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4852783
Does anyone know if or when this feature will be implemented?

Cindy Swearingen wrote:

Hi Mike,

Yes, outside of the hot-spares feature, you can detach, offline, and replace existing devices in a pool, but you can't remove devices, yet.

This feature work is being tracked under this RFE:

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4852783

Cindy

Mike Seda wrote:

Hi All,
From reading the docs, it seems that you can add devices (non-spares) to a zpool, but you cannot take them away, right?
Best,
Mike

Victor Latushkin wrote:

Maybe something like the "slow" parameter of VxVM?

               slow[=iodelay]
                    Reduces toe system performance impact of copy
                    operations.  Such operations are usually per-
                    formed on small regions of the  volume  (nor-
                    mally  from  16  kilobytes to 128 kilobytes).
                    This  option  inserts  a  delay  between  the
                    recovery  of  each  such  region . A specific
                    delay can be  specified  with  iodelay  as  a
                    number  of milliseconds; otherwise, a default
                    is chosen (normally 250 milliseconds).

For modern machines, which *should* be the design point, the channel
bandwidth is underutilized, so why not use it?

NB. At 4 128kByte iops per second, it would take 11 days and 8 hours
to resilver a single 500 GByte drive -- feeling lucky?  In the bad old
days when disks were small, and the systems were slow, this made some
sense.  The better approach is for the file system to do what it needs
to do as efficiently as possible, which is the current state of ZFS.

Well, we are trying to balance impact of resilvering on running applications with a speed of resilvering.

I think that having an option to tell filesystem to postpone full-throttle resilvering till some quieter period of time may help. This may be combined with some throttling mechanism so during quieter period resilvering is done with full speed, and during busy period it may continue with reduced speed. Such arrangement may be useful for customers with e.g. well-defined SLAs.

Wbr,
Victor