Hello Rich,

RT> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Toby Thain wrote:

>> IMHO, this is a faulty conclusion.

RT> And I disagree.  So we'll have to agree to disagree.

>> The interesting use case of "contributing", and I think the one that spurred
>> the creation of the GPL, is "I use this but I need to customise it a bit". In
>> this situation it's quite reasonable that you would abide by the conditions
>> I've chosen for the stuff you're using.

RT> If I want to customise some of your code, I agree that it's reasonable for
RT> me to abide by whatever license you chose.  But if I want to add something
RT> completely new (say, a new module for emacs), the code for which lives in
RT> new and separate files from your code, why should you be able to dictate to
RT> me what license I use?

RT> Your answer will no doubt be "no one is forcing you to add that module to
RT> my program", and you'd be correct.  But then we all potentially suffer
RT> because we can't use my new functionality.

And that's is exactly the case with nvidia drivers in Linux and
current discussion about ZFS on Linux. It's because this viral feature
of GPL Linux has a problem sometimes. Why to dictate nvidia the
license they want to use for THEIR drivers? Why dictate Open Solaris
community to go with all the hassle with dual licensing just because
Linux has a problem with its license (it can't absorb zfs like FreeBSD
in an "easy" way).

Well, maybe it would be great to have ZFS on every popular OS platform,
assuming on-disk compatibility is protected.

It's just that it's Linux community who should probably finally deal
with that problem instead of all the others doing an extra work. They
behave strange - they are blaming companies like NVidia or Sun for not
licensing THEIR code under GPL license and on the other hand they
claim they belive in a freedom...

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]