[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Actually sitting down and doing something hard (like porting
> ZFS - one way or another - to Linux), well, the word
> procrastination comes to mind and gee, isn't it easier to
> come up with reasons /not/ to do it?
>
> If someone really wanted ZFS on Linux, they'd just do it -
> licence/patents be damned.

It seems that those people are a minority who know that......

....A discussion on porting starting with a license talk means
that there is no real technical interest on the port.

ZFS is a piece of code that is published under a free licence that
does not prevent using it with other code. Asking in this list is asking the
wrong people. In addition, I believe Sun will not sue people who use ZFS
because it is allowed. I do not understand why some people from the Linux camp
believe that there is a problem, except when they believe that Linux is
not free enough ;-)

Let me repeat it another time: If there is interest on having ZFS on Linux,
people should start a port!

You cannot enforce such a port, you may just create the needed freedom
in the code and the CDDL used for ZFS gives enough freedom. This has been
proven by the FreeBSD people and by Apple.

If the license discussion continues, I get the impression that some people
from the Linux camp are just jealous because they believe that Linux is not
free enough for using ZFS. Well, I believe that the GPL gives that freedom,
why do those Linux people believe that there is a problem? So please can we have
a discussion based on technical problems and not waste time with endless
license discussions?

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)