Hi

This is a bit off topic...but as Bill mentioned SAM-FS...my job at Sun is working in a group focused on ISV's in the archiving space (Symantec Enterprise Vault, Open Text LEA, CA Message Manager, FileNet, Mobius, AXS-One etc etc)...we see a strong interest from some of them in using SAM-FS because is solves the problem of backing up _archived _data. I just completed some interesting projects with Symantec using SAMBA + SAM-FS (Enterprise Vault is a Windows App).

One thing we have considered is using SAM-FS & ZFS together on a server....the archived data is written into SAM-FS by the application which later copies it to ZFS (which is then a mid-tier disk archive) and tape (last tier). SAM-FS is being Open Sourced real soon (for people who care about that) also runs on x64 now.

SAM-FS + ZFS + Thumper (Sun Fire x4500) + tape could be a nice back end for an archiving application.

Rgds

Tim