Dennis Clarke wrote:
So now here we are ten years later with a new filesystem and I have no
way to back it up in such a fashion that I can restore it perfectly. I
can take snapshots. I can do a strange send and receive but the
process is not stable From zfs (1M) we see :

    The format of the stream is evolving. No backwards  compati-
    bility  is  guaranteed.  You may not be able to receive your
    streams on future versions of ZFS.

The format of the stream may not be stable. So you can't dump the stream to a file somewhere and expect to receive from it sometime in the future.

But if you stash it away as a pool on the same machine or elsewhere, it is not an issue.

# zfs send [-i b] pool/[EMAIL PROTECTED] | [ssh host] zfs receive
poolB/received/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Right? I think this is quite cool! :)

-Manoj