Hello Brian,

Thursday, April 26, 2007, 3:55:16 AM, you wrote:

BG> If I recall, the dump partition needed to be at least as large as RAM.

BG> In Solaris 8(?) this changed, in that crashdumps streans were
BG> compressed as they were written out to disk. Although I've never read
BG> this anywhere, I assumed the reasons this was done are as follows:

BG> 1) Large enterprise systems could support ridiculous (at the time)
BG> amounts of physical RAM. Providing a physical disk/LUN partition that
BG> could hold such a large crashdump seemed wasteful and expensive.

BG> 2) Compressing the dump before writing to disk would be faster, thus
BG> improving the chances of getting a full dump. (CPU performance has
BG> progressed at a much higher rate of change than disk throughputs
BG> have).

BG> (I don't know what the compression ratios are, but I'd imagine they
BG> would be pretty high).

By default only kernel pages are saved to dump device so even without
compression it can be smaller than ram size in a server. I often see
compression ratio 1.x or 2.x nothing more (it's lzjb after all).

Now with ZFS the story is a little bit different as its caches are
treated as kernel pages so you basically are dumping all memory in
case of file servers... there's an open bug for it.

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]