On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 16:53 -0700, Darren Dunham wrote:
> > > zpool list doesn't reflect pool usage stats instantly. Why?
> >
> > This is no different to how UFS behaves.
>
> It is different now (although I spent about 5 minutes looking for an old
> bug that would point to *when* the UFS change went in, I wasn't able to
> find one).

The motivation for the change was standards compliance -- though there
was at least one instance reported on comp.unix.solaris where deferred
free caused an actual application problem -- the application was coded
so that when free space reported by statvfs(2) crossed a low water mark,
the application iterated through a log directory deleting files until
available space went above a high water mark.

Anyhow, the primary bug related to this was:

5012326 delay between unlink/close and space becoming available may be
arbitrarily long

which integrated into a late build of s10.  IIRC there were some
followup fixes to this which further improved the behavior.

PSARC reviewed a proposal, 2004/372 to add a tunable to select between
"fast" and "correct" behavior.  The proposal was withdrawn when the
current approach was found to be sufficient for UFS.

                                                        - Bill