Not much bliss to report with OpenSolaris.

Getting there was an adventure.  I had to find out how to boot from a changed
root
device (after reconnecting my primary disk, I had disconnected that during the
Solaris install so I wouldn't accidentally overwrite it).  I had to find a way
of transferring
my /home: ext3 wasn't recognized, so I copied it to zfs on Linux -- now that
was on a
logical partition, and Solaris doesn't seem to recognize those; ok, redid the
copy to a
primary partition -- now Solaris complains about not being able to read ZFS
version 6;
ok, redid the copy a third time, this time initing the zfs on the Solaris side
then writing
to it from Linux -- finally it worked.

The times, though, are a "little" discouraging:

1.
real    4m26.736s
user    0m0.509s
sys     0m8.572s

2.
real    4m27.082s
user    0m0.515s
sys     0m8.609s

So zfs-fuse actually outperforms zfs on Solaris by a factor of 2! Now I'm
impatiently
waiting until it gets optimized :)

Disclaimer:

I admit doing a find is a silly FS benchmark.  But I didn't want to benchmark,
I wanted to find the best solution for my workload, more or less random access
a bunch of small files.  I admit doing a build in Eclipse would have been a
better
sample than find(1), but installing Eclipse on OpenSolaris would even require
that
I build Eclipse from source.  That was more time than I was willing to invest.