Roch Bourbonnais wrote

> with recent bits ZFS compression is now handled concurrently with
> many CPUs working on different records.
> So this load will burn more CPUs and acheive it's results
> (compression) faster.

Is this done using the taskq's, created in spa_activate()?

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/zfs/spa.c#109

These threads seems to be running the gzip compression code,
and are apparently started with a priority of maxclsyspri == 99.

> So the observed pauses should be consistent with that of a load
> generating high system time.
> The assumption is that compression now goes faster than when is was
> single threaded.
>
> Is this undesirable ? We might seek a way to slow
> down compression in  order to limit the system load.

Hmm, I see that the USB device drivers are also using taskq's,
see file usr/src/uts/common/io/usb/usba/usbai_pipe_mgmt.c,
function usba_init_pipe_handle().  The USB device driver is
using a priority of minclsyspri == 60 (or "maxclsyspri - 5" == 94,
in the case of isochronuous usb pipes):

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/io/usb/usba/usbai_pipe_mgmt.c#427

Could this be a problem?  That is, when zfs' taskq is filled with
lots of compression requests, there is no time left running USB
taskq that have a lower priority than zfs?