On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 11:43:49AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I think this may be a premature leap -- It is still undetermined if we are
> running up against a yet unknown bug in the kernel implementation of gzip
> used for this compression type. From my understanding the gzip code has
> been reused from an older kernel implementation,  it may be possible that
> this code has some issues with kernel stuttering when used for zfs
> compression that may have not been exposed with its original usage.  If it
> turns out that it is just a case of high cpu trade-off for buying faster
> compression times, then the talk of a tunable may make sense (if it is even
> possible given the constraints of the gzip code in kernelspace).

The in-kernel version is zlib is the latest version (1.2.3). It's not
surprising that we're spending all of our time in zlib if the machine is
being driving by I/O. There are outstanding problems with compression in
the ZIO pipeline that may contribute to the bursty behavior.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/ahl