Albert Chin wrote:

Well, there is no data on the file server as this is an initial copy,

Sorry Albert, I should have noticed that from your e-mail :-(

I think the bigger problem is the NFS performance penalty so we'll go
lurk somewhere else to find out what the problem is.

Is this with Solaris 10 or OpenSolaris on the client as well?

I guess this goes back to some of the "why is tar slow over NFS"
discussions we've had, some here and some on nfs-discuss.  A more
multi-threaded workload would help; so will planned work to focus
on performance of NFS and ZFS together, which can sometimes be
slower than expected.

Rob T