Anton B. Rang wrote:
Thumper seems to be designed as a file server (but curiously, not for high
availability).

hmmm... Often people think that because a system is not clustered, then it is
not
designed to be highly available.  Any system which provides a single view of
data
(eg. a persistent storage device) must have at least one single point of
failure.
The 4 components in a system which break most often are: fans, power supplies,
disks,
and DIMMs.  You will find that most servers, including thumper, has redundancy
cover these failure modes.  We've done extensive modelling and measuring of
these
systems and think that we have hit a pretty good balance of availability and
cost.
A thumper is not a STK9990V, nor does it cost nearly as much.

Incidentally, thumper field reliability is better than we expected.  This is
causing
me to do extra work, because I have to explain why.

It's got plenty of I/O bandwidth. Mid-range and high-end servers, though, are starved of I/O bandwidth relative to their CPU & memory. This is particularly true for Sun's hardware.

Please tell us how many storage arrays are required to meet a theoretical I/O
bandwidth of
244 GBytes/s?  Note: I have to say theoretical bandwidth here because no such
system has
ever been built for testing, and such a system would be very, very expensive.
 -- richard