Right now -- as I'm sure you have noticed -- we use the dataset name for
the alias. To let users explicitly set the alias we could add a new property
as you suggest or allow other options for the existing shareiscsi property:

  shareiscsi='alias=potato'

This would sort of match what we do for the sharenfs property.

Adam