Questions I don't know answers to are omitted.  "I am but a nestling."

On 5/31/07, Nathan Huisman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
===== STORAGE REQUIREMENTS

5-10tb of redundant fairly high speed storage
What does "high speed" mean?  How many users are there for this
system?  Are they accessing it via Ethernet? FC? Something else?  Why
the emphasis on iscsi?

===== QUESTION #2

Can ZFS be exported via iscsi and then imported as a disk to a linux
system and then be formated with another file system[?]
Yes. It's in OpenSolaris but not (as I understand it) in Solaris
direct from Sun.  If running OpenSolaris isn't an issue (but it
probably is) it works out of the box.

===== QUESTION #3

How does zfs handle a bad drive? What process must I go through in
order to take out a bad drive and replace it with a good one?
ZFS only notices drives are dead when they're really dead - they can't
be opened.  If a drive is causing intermittent problems (returning bad
data and so forth) it won't get noticed, but ZFS will recover the
blocks from mirrors or parity.  "zpool replace" should take care of
the replacement procedure, or you could keep hot spares online.  I
can't comment on hotswapping drives while the machine is on; does this
work in general, or require special hardware?

===== QUESTION #4

What is a good way to back up this HA storage unit? Snapshots will
provide an easy way to do it live, but should it be dumped into a tape
library, or an third offsite zfs pool using zfs send/recieve or ?
ZFS will be no help if all you've got is iscsi targets.  You need
something that knows what those targets hold; whatever client-OS-based
stuff you use other places will do.  Otherwise you end up
storing/backing up a lot more than you need to - filesystem metadata,
et cetera.

===== QUESTION #5

Does the following setup work?

BOX 1 (JBOD) -> iscsi export -> BOX 2 ZFS.

In other words, can I setup a bunch of thin storage boxes with low cpu
and ram instead of using sas or fc to supply the jbod to the zfs server?
As Dale mentions, this seems overly complicated.   Consuming iscsi and
producing "different" iscsi doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Will