Hello Richard,

>> Having 2 cards would certainly make the "unlikely replacement" of a card
>> a LOT more straight-forward than a single-card failure... Much of this
>> would depend on the quality of these CF-cards and how they put up under
>> load/stress/time....

RE> Disagree.  With two cards, you have to implement software mirroring of
RE> some sort.  While ZFS is a step in the right direction (simplifying the
RE> process) it is unproven for long term system administration.  The costs
RE> of implementing software mirroring occur in the complexity of managing
RE> the software environment over time as upgrades and patches occur.
RE> Reliability tends to trump availability for this reason.

I don't know - I've been using SVM to mirror boot disks for years on
several servers and I belive management is better than dealing with
different PCI RAID cards, different BIOS'es (on-board RAID), different
tools, different failure scenarios, etc.

Or maybe you were thinking no-raid-at-all vs. mirror...

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]