Starfox wrote:
First time around, create a snapshot and send it to remote: zfs snapshot
master/[EMAIL PROTECTED] zfs send master/[EMAIL PROTECTED] | ssh mirror zfs recv
backup/mirrorfs

Once that's done, [EMAIL PROTECTED], correct?

More accurately, master/[EMAIL PROTECTED] == backup/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> So now I'm running the script manually
and it's complaining that the incremental source doesn't match, and
apparently no way to tell which [EMAIL PROTECTED] is the source short of
trial-and-error even if I kept all my incremental mirrors?  Is there a
clean way around this?

I'd say either (a) have your script check to see if the send|recv was successful, or (b) have it check what snapshots are available at the other side, and start sending incrementals from there. Eg:

$lastsnap = ssh remote zfs list -o name $fs | tail -1 | cut '@' ...
do {
        zfs snapshot [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        zfs send -i $lastsnap [EMAIL PROTECTED] | ssh remote zfs recv -d
pool/recvd
} while (no errors)

I guess a better scenario would be that I accidentally destroyed the last
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (so no source snapshot to -i).  Would my only recourse it to
bite the bullet and do a zfs send [EMAIL PROTECTED] (aka full)?

No, if you have the old snaps on both sides, you can simply send an incremental from the last common snap (eg, zfs send -i mirrorX-1 [EMAIL PROTECTED])

Another question is if I wanted to send a snapshot as a snapshot, I can
do: zfs snapshot master/[EMAIL PROTECTED] zfs send master/[EMAIL PROTECTED] |
ssh
mirror zfs recv backup/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

And now [EMAIL PROTECTED]@savesnap, right?  But that would involve
sending the whole stream, which is however much data the filesystem was
consuming at that point in time?

Yes. But this will create a new filesystem backup/mirrorfs on the receiving side. I'm not sure I understand your goal -- zfs send always sends a snapshot, whether incremental or full.

--matt