> Thanks Darren.
> let me try to put this in points -
>
> 1. ZFS atomic operation that commits data.
> 2. Writes come into the app.
> 3. The db put in hotbackup mode.
> 4. Snapshot taken on storage.
> 5. ZFS atomic operation that commits data.
>
> So if i do a snap restore, ZFS might revert to point1, but from the db
> perspective, it is inconsistent and we would need to do a
> recovery..correct?.

Right.  So you'll want to synchronize your snapshots with a database
consistency.  Just like doing backups.

> Lets say between 3 and 4 i manually wanted to do what ZFS does in
> point 5, would just sync do the job here?.

It should.  Under normal operation, the disk is updated every 10
seconds, or sooner if the cache is filled due to write operations.

> Taking a zfs snaphost might
> take a snap at point 1..which might not work from teh db perspective.

Right.  I just wanted to know why you want to sync the disk yourself if
you weren't taking a snapshot.

If this is important for the database, then it should be doing it itself
before it reports that the data has been written.

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]