I've spent some time searching, and I apologize if I've missed this somewhere,
but in testing ZVOL write performance I cannot see any noticeable difference
between opening a ZVOL with or without O_DSYNC.

Does the O_DSYNC flag have any actual influence on ZVOL writes ?

For ZVOLS that I have opened without the O_DSYNC flag, I find that
if I follow each write (these are 4KB writes done to a previously written area
of a ZVOL) with an fsync() call on the channel, I see a significant performance
drop (as expected).

But I do not see this behavior when I open the ZVOL with
the O_DSYNC flag (and do not do the fsync() operations) as I thought I should.

While the O_DSYNC flag is accepted without error when opening a ZVOL it
apparently does not support synchronous writes to that ZVOL ... is this
correct or am I missing something ?