Hi. I'm looking for the best solution to create an expandable heterogeneous
pool of drives. I think in an ideal world, there'd be a raid version which
could cleverly handle both multiple drive sizes and the addition of new drives
into a group (so one could drop in a new drive of arbitrary size, maintain some
redundancy, and gain most of that drive's capacity), but my impression is that
we're far from there.

Absent that, I was considering using zfs and just having a single pool. My main
question is this: what is the failure mode of zfs if one of those drives either
fails completely or has errors? Do I permanently lose access to the entire
pool? Can I attempt to read other data? Can I "zfs replace" the bad drive and
get some level of data recovery? Otherwise, by pooling drives am I simply
increasing the probability of a catastrophic data loss? I apologize if this is
addressed elsewhere -- I've read a bunch about zfs, but not come across this
particular answer.

As a side-question, does anyone have a suggestion for an intelligent way to
approach this goal? This is not mission-critical data, but I'd prefer not to
make data loss _more_ probable. Perhaps some volume manager (like LVM on linux)
has appropriate features?

Thanks for any help.

-puk