Hi all,
  I'm new to the list as of today, I've come because I'm fascinated with
ZFS and my company has just begun an adventure into the unknown with
Solaris 10.

We've got a few Sun Fire X4200's and a few Sun Fire V245's that we're
playing with and we've come to a decision point about how to configure
SAN LUNs on these boxes.  I'm curious what you all think would be a best
practice for the relatively simple scenario described below:

Application Use:  Oracle 10.2
Server: Sun Fire V245 w/ Sun branded Emulex FC HBA
SAN  Storage Allocated:  10 100GB LUNs

I'm not much of an oracle guy, but I will say we don't have a lot of
experience running with Oracle on File systems, most of our existing
Oracle Servers are RAC configured with ASM on raw SAN...and we don't
like this very much.

I'm wondering what the best way to allocate these LUNs with ZFS would
be...

Configure one zpool with all 10 LUNs and a single file system assigning
no special constraints (mirror/striping/raid/zraid) to the pool?

Configure a zpool for each of the 10 LUNs with a single file system
inside each pool?

Configure one zpool with all 10 LUNs and 10 file systems (again no
special zpool config)?

There are some undefined variables, such as the SAN and Oracle
configurations, but I'm not in a position to control those, I don't
admin the SAN, nor am I a DBA.  Strictly from the System Admin
perspective would there be a best solution here?  If we were using
Veritas Volume Manager, and we were to consider a zpool to be equivalent
to a volume group (also a zfs ~ vxfs logical volume), VVM has
limitations where performance becomes bad if LUNs are too large, or too
many, and so forth.  Does ZFS have the same constraints?  Does it follow
that allowing ZFS to manage all the LUNs under a single pool and file
system will perform better?...following the idea that the lower the
level of control the better performance through less layers of
abstraction/overhead.

My next question would be to consider those scenarios with the use of
ZFS mirror or raid functionality.  Does this add unnecessary overhead at
the cost of performance when the SAN may be configured in a RAID 5 or
RAID 10 arrangement?

Many thanks!
--
Sean