>One thing ZFS is missing is the ability to select which files to compress.
yes.

there is also no filesystem based approach in compressing/decompressing a whole
filesystem. you can have 499gb of data on a 500gb partition - and if you need
some more space you would think turning on compression on that fs would solve
your problem. but compression only affects files which are new. i wished there
was some zfs set compression=gzip <zfs> , zfs compress <fs>, zfs uncompress
<fs> and it would be nice if we could get compresion information for single
files. (as with ntfs)

>Even a simple heuristic like "don't compress mp3,avi,zip,tar files"
that`s already existing. afaik, zfs tries to compress a datablock and if that
isn`t compressible enough, it doesn`t store it compressed. it has no
"knowlegde" of what type of data a file contains, tough.