I am looking into getting something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120069356632&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

For a home storage server. I would like to run ZFS. Preferrably
FreeBSD (if basic functionality is completely bug-free and I won't
lose any data :)) as I am more comfortable with it.

However, I have been subscribed to the ZFS lists for some time now and
done a Google check up for topics relating to this for some time, and
the jury still seems to be out on whether or not this would be a good
idea.

I need it mainly for DVD storage (for easy playback) and personal
archiving. So maybe 3-4 read streams and 1-2 write streams - probably
at peak time.

Is this a viable option? I want capacity more than speed; but I want
at least single parity redundancy with RAID-Z. Would it be an option
to add 8 drive units as needed, making them each a single RAID-Z
device (so 7 drives usable?) and add them into the same zpool to
increase available storage when I would get low?

I might be missing some concepts here... but I keep querying this list
hoping someone has done some of the footwork already (I don't have as
many funds available to me as in the past to mess around with
experimental/untested ideas) not to mention I don't want to be
experimenting with my data... or maybe someone at least has some
advice. I have seen a couple comments about Firewire, not many about
USB. I don't care about the hotplugging, I can power down to replace
any drives or do maintenance. It's mainly for cheap, quiet enclosures
that can export JBOD...

Thanks,
mike