Thanks for the information. I am using the Marvell8sx driver on a vanilla
Sunfire v20z server. This project has gone through many frustrating phases...

Originally I tried a Si3124 board with the box running a 5-1 Sil Sata
multiplexer. The controller didn't understand the multiplexer so I put in a
second board and drove the drives directly.

However, this didn't work well either and would lock up periodically. I added
some published driver patches which made things better, but I would still get
periodic kernel panics because of a recursive mutex call.

So, I bought the Supermicro 8 channel Sata Marvell card. I tried the
multiplexer again, but no luck, so I'm driving each separately again.
Occasionally, I would have a system lockup and could only force the system to
power down. I believe that this may have been due to a flaky Sata connection
internal to the box. Now I'm left with the situation that I described.

Gary