> This mode has many benefits, the least not being that is practically
> creates a fully dynamic mode of mirroring (replacing raid1 and raid10
> variants), especially when combined with the upcoming vdev remove and
> defrag/rebalance features.

Vdev remove, that's a sure thing. I've heard about defrag before, but
when I asked, no one confirmed it.

The same goes for that mention of single disk "RAID", that's I think
supposed to write one parity block for n data blocks, so that disk
errors can be healed without having to have a real redundant setup.

> Is this already available? Is it scheduled? Whyt not?

Actually, ZFS is already supposed to try to write the ditto copies of a
block on different vdevs if multiple are available.

As far as finding out goes, I suppose if you use a simple JBOD, in
theory, you could try by offlining one disk. But I think in a
non-redundant setup, the pool refuses to start if a disk is missing (I
think that should be changed, to allow evacuation of properly dittoed data).

-mg