Alec Muffett wrote:
>> Does anyone on this list have experience with a recent board with 6 or more
>> SATA ports that they know is supported?
>>

> Well so far I have only populated 5 of the ports I have available,
> but my writeup with my 9-port SATS ASUS mobo is at:
>
>       http://www.crypticide.com/dropsafe/article/2091
>
> ...and I hope to run a few more tests this weekend, time permitting.
>
> But you know this, since you've already commented there.  :-)
>
>       - alec

In fact, any of the recent Intel chipset motherboards;

Server class:  Chipset ESB-2 southbridge
Desktop class:  Chipset ICH-8 and ICH-9
                         Motherboards known as i965 chipset
                         and Intel P35 chipsets

The above all support AHCI and have typically up
to 6 SATA connectors, which the southbridge supports.
On ICH-9, all six are in the southbridge and supported/tested
running Solaris.   On some i965 classs motherboards, there may
only be 4 SATA ports that Solaris supports, since the other 2
may or may not be present and may be a third party SATA
controller chip with no device driver software for Solaris.

So if you want all six SATA ports for Solaris in AHCI mode,
go with a desktop board using the P35 chipset (ICH-9 southbridge)
or a server board based on ESB-2 southbridge (Intel Series S-5000
server boards).

Hope this helps.

Neal