Rainer J.H. Brandt wrote:
> Ronald,
>
> thanks for your comments.
>
> I was thinking about this scenario:
>
> Host w continuously has a UFS mounted with read/write access.
> Host w writes to the file f/ff/fff.
> Host w ceases to touch anything under f.
> Three hours later, host r mounts the file system read-only,
> reads f/ff/fff, and unmounts the file system.
>
> My assumption was:
>
> a1) This scenario won't hurt w,
> a2) this scenario won't damage the data on the file system,
> a3) this scenario won't hurt r, and
> a4) the read operation will succeed,
>
> even if w continues with arbitrary I/O, except that it doesn't
> touch anything under f until after r has unmounted the file system.
>
> Of course everything that you and Tim and Casper said is true,
> but I'm still inclined to try that scenario.

you might get lucky once (note: I said "might"), but there's no
guarantee, and sooner or later this approach *will* cause data corruption.

wouldn't it be much simpler to use NFS & automounter for this scenario
(I didn't follow the whole thread, so this may have been discussed
already)?

Michael
--
Michael Schuster        Sun Microsystems, Inc.
recursion, n: see 'recursion'