The situation: a three 500gb disk raidz array.  One disk breaks and you replace
it with a new one.  But the new 500gb disk is slightly smaller than the
smallest disk in the array.

I presume the disk would not be accepted into the array because the zpool
replace entry on the zpool man page says "The size of new_device must be
greater than or equal to the minimum size of all the devices in a mirror or
raidz configuration."[1]

I had expected (hoped) that a raidz array with sufficient free space would
downsize itself to accommodate the smaller replaced disk.  But I've never seen
that function mentioned anywhere :o)

So I figure the only way to build smaller-than-max-disk-size functionality into
a raidz array is to make a slice on each disk that is slightly smaller than the
max disk size, and then build the array out of those slices.  Am I correct here?

If so, is there a downside to using slice(s) instead of whole disks?  The zpool
manual says "ZFS can use individual slices or partitions, though the
recommended mode of operation is to use whole disks." ["Virtual Devices
(vdevs)", 1]

[1] http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2240/zpool-1m?a=view