> > If that's the correct reading of the story then the story is very badly
> > written.  Or am I misreading the story?
>
> Hmmm, the order itself goes on and on about RAM.  I think the judge
> should have been clearer that the issue is the specific data, as opposed
> to generic RAM contents.

Exactly the articles point -- rulings have consiquences outside of the
original case.  The intent may have been to store logs for web server
access (logical and prudent request) but the ruling states that RAM albeit
working memory is no different then other storage and must be kept for
discovery.  This is generalized because (as I understand) the defense was
arguing  "logs are not turned on -- they do not exist" and that was met
with "of course the running program has this information in RAM and you are
disposing of it" ad nauseam.  The only saving grace for the ruling is that
it is not a higher court.