>> Mounts under /net are derived from the filesystems actually shared
>> from the servers; the automount daemon uses the MOUNT protocol to
>> determine this.  If you're looking at a path not already seen, the
>> information will be fresh, but that's where the good news ends.
>
> I know that, yes, but why can't we put such an abstraction
> elsewhere in
> the name space?  One thing I have always disliked about /net mounts is
> that they're too magical; it should be possible to replicate them
> in some form in other mount maps.

In short, you're proposing a solution to the zillions-of-nfs-exports
issue, which instead of using "wait for v4 to implement a server-side
export consolidation" thingy, would instead be a "better, smarter /
net-alike on v2/v3, but give it a sensible name and better namespace
semantics"?

I could go for that...

        -a