After having to replace an internal raid card in an X2200 (S10U3 in
this case), I can see the disks just fine - and can boot, so the data
isn't completely missing.

However, my zpool has gone.

# zpool status -x
  pool: storage
 state: FAULTED
status: One or more devices could not be opened.  There are insufficient
        replicas for the pool to continue functioning.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-D3
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage     UNAVAIL      0     0     0  insufficient replicas
          c1t0d0s7  UNAVAIL      0     0     0  cannot open

Note that this is just a slice on my boot drive. So the device
is physically accessible.

How do I get my pool back?

(And how can this sort of thing happen?)

# zpool import
no pools available to import

# zdb
storage