On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Ian Collins wrote:

> Kent Watsen wrote:
>> Getting there - can anybody clue me into how much CPU/Mem ZFS needs?
>> I have an old 1.2Ghz with 1Gb of mem laying around - would it be sufficient?
>>

> It'll use as much memory as you can spare and it has a strong preference
> for 64 bit systems.  Considering how much you are spending on the case
> and drives, it would be foolish to skimp on the motherboard CPU combination.
>
> Probably a 64 bit dual core with 4GB of (ECC) RAM would be a good
> starting point.

Agreed.  Or save a few $s on CPUs and install 8Gb+ of RAM.
Unfortunately, if you go with Intel CPUs in a server type platform,
you'll end up with FB-DIMMs (Fully Buffered).  These parts add about
5W per DIMM and it would be wise to blow air over the installed DIMMs.

I notice that some of te Asus server boards come with FB-DIMM fans:

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=9&l2=39&l3=299&l4=0&model=1829&modelmenu=1

Happy Friday!

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Apr 2005 to Mar 2007
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/ogb/ogb_2005-2007/