>> 1.  My understanding of the situation is having a zpool on a single
LUN precludes some ZFS technology such as self-healing, hence is not
best practice.  Right?

>For important data and when you have only one LUN (eg. arrays) using
copies is a way to manage your redundancy policies for each file system.
In general, we like to see ZFS have the ability to repair data.

I'm not sure what you mean by copies.  ZFS snapshots?  Clones?

>> 3.  Suggestions for zpool, zfs file system layout

>Follow the procedures for databases on ZFS at:
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide

Yeah, I read that.  Thanks.  I'm assuming he means something like:

zfs create -o recsize=8k -o mountpoint=/ora01  san01/ora01

>Prior to Solaris 10u5 (spring '08?) you will want to put your Oracle
redo log on a separate storage pool, preferrably on the fastest storage.
But if you follow this advice, then I wouldn't try to mirror the redo
log pool with a slow device because it is a write-mostly workload and
will be sensitive to the latency of commits to both sides of the mirror.

I eventually decided mirroring fast storage to slow was a stupid idea.
Does the redo log filesystem need the same recsize as the filesystem
ORACLE tables themselves? I thought they were more of a flat file.

>NB since you only have one LUN, the performance won't be great anyway.
Or to put this in perspective, competitive TPC-C benchmarks consume
thousands of LUNs. In that case, you might consider investing in memory
for a larger SGA.

I would have assumed the SAN would be the bottleneck on this.  Would
having the SAN publish more LUNs buy me anything in terms of overall
performance?  Wouldn't the SAN be spinning its hamster wheel faster
trying to deliver the data over multiple LUNs vs. one, losing us any
performance gain on the ZFS end?