I think I might have run into the same problem.  At the time I assumed I was
doing something wrong, but...

I made a b72 raidz out of three new 1gb virtual disks in vmware.  I shut the vm
off, replaced one of the disks with a new 1.5gb virtual disk.  No matter what
command I tried, I couldn't get the new disk into the array.  The docs said
that replacing the vdev with itself would work, but it didn't.  Nor did setting
the 'automatic replace' feature on the pool and plugging a new device in.  I
recall most of the errors being "device in use".

Maybe I wasn't the problem after all?  0_o