No, they aren't (i.e. zoneadm clone on S10u4 doesn't use zfs snapshots).

I have a workaround I'm about to blog, the gist of which  is

make the 'template' zone on zfs
boot, configure, etc.
zonecfg -z template detach

zfs snapshot tank/zones/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
zfs clone tank/zones/[EMAIL PROTECTED] tank/zones/clone

zonecfg -z clone 'create -a /zones/clone'
zoneadm -z clone attach

Will post the URL once I pull my finger out.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/