Neal Pollack wrote:
> Ed Saipetch wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm experiencing major checksum errors when using a syba silicon
>> image 3114 based pci sata controller w/ nonraid firmware.  I've
>> tested by copying data via sftp and smb.  With everything I've
>> swapped out, I can't fathom this being a hardware problem.
>
> I can.  But I suppose it could also be in some unknown way a driver
> issue.
> Even before ZFS, I've had numerous situations where various si3112
> and 3114 chips
> would corrupt data on UFS and PCFS, with very simple  copy and
> checksum
> test scripts, doing large bulk transfers.
>
> Si chips are best used to clean coffee grinders.  Go buy a real SATA
> controller.
>
> Neal

I have no problem ponying up money for a better SATA controller.  I saw
a bunch of blog posts that people were successful using the card so I
thought maybe I had a bad card with corrupt firmware nvram.  Is it worth
trying to trace down the bug?  If this type of corruption exists, nobody
should be using this card.  As a side note, what SATA cards are people
having luck with?