> I've got Solaris Express Community Edition build 75
> (75a) installed on an Asus P5K-E/WiFI-AP (ip35/ICH9R
> based) board.  CPU=Q6700, RAM=8Gb, disk=Samsung
> HD501LJ and (older) Maxtor 6H500F0.
>
> When the O/S is running on bare metal, ie no xVM/Xen
> hypervisor, then everything is fine.
>
> When it's booted up running xVM and the hypervisor,
> then unlike plain disk I/O, and unlike svm volumes,
> zfs is around 20 time slower.

Just a wild guess, but since we're just seeing a similar
strange performance problem on an Intel quadcore system
with 8GB or memory....

Can you try to remove some part of the ram, so that the
system runs on 4GB instead of 8GB?  Or use xen /
solaris boot options to restrict physical memory usage to
the low 4GB range?

It seems that on certain mainboards [*] the bios is unable to
install mtrr cachable ranges for all of the 8GB system ram,
when when some important stuff ends up in uncachable ram,
performance gets *really* bad.

[*] http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/1/231