Chris,

You need to use the zpool replace command.

I recently enhanced this section of the admin guide with more explicit
instructions on page 68, here:

http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/zfsadmin.pdf

If these are hot-swappable disks, for example, c0t1d0, then use this syntax:

# zpool replace pool-name c0t1d0

ZFS recognizes that this is a replacement disk in the same location.

You don't need to offline the disk to be replaced unless it is failing
and making the pool unhappy.