Ed Saipetch wrote:
> To answer a number of questions:
>
> Regarding different controllers, I've tried 2 Syba Sil 3114 controllers
> purchased about 4 months apart.  I've tried 5.4.3 firmware with one and
> 5.4.13 with another.  Maybe Syba makes crappy Sil 3114 cards but it's the
> same one that someone on blogs.sun.com used with success.  I had weird
> problems flashing the first card I got, hence the order of another one.  I'm
> not sure how I could get 2 different controllers 4 months apart and then use
> them in 2 completely different computers and both controllers be bad.

another data point..

I run two SiI 3114 based cards in my home fileserver running s10u3. I
was having ZFS data corruption issues and I suspected the SiI cards -
that was until I replaced the motherboard/CPU/memory. I didn't have the
time or patience to try to determine which component was at fault, but I
swapped the motherboard/CPU/memory and stressed it for a few hours and
the data corruption problem was gone.

before that, I was seeing data corruption issues within minutes. maybe
it was just memory, but I'll never know. I junked the old kit after I
confirmed I had eliminated the problem.

grant.