On 11/3/07, Razvan Corneliu VILT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sounds like the right solution to my problem in it solves a few problems, but
> I am rather curious about how it would integrate with a potential Samba
> server running on the same system (in case someone needs a domain controller
> as well as a fileserver).
>
> 1 - Samba can store the DOS attributes of a file in an xattr. Can sharesmb do
> that? If so, is it compatible with Samba?

The best description I have seen so far is at
http://blogs.sun.com/amw/entry/cifs_in_solaris .

Based upon what I see there, OpenSolaris is getting capability that
will once again surpass the capabilities of the competition.  Not to
belittle the advances in dtrace, zfs, smf, etc., the integration of
cifs seems to be a game changer in determining which open source OS is
the best for file serving.  Indeed, this would not be the case without
the combination of zfs, nfsv4, avs, etc.  Once NDMP and COMSTAR are in
place, it looks as though the "core" parts will be complete.
Hopefully this will all come together through administrative tools
that make cross-platform (*nix, Windows) and cross-protocol (CiFS,
NFS, iSCSI, FC) file and block serving with remote replication seem
intuitive.  Kinda makes you understand why Netapp no longer feels that
they can compete on features + ease of use.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/