can you guess? wrote:
> Ah - thanks to both of you.  My own knowledge of video format internals is so
> limited that I assumed most people here would be at least equally familiar
> with the notion that a flipped bit or two in a video would hardly qualify as
> any kind of disaster (or often even as being noticeable, unless one were
> searching for it, in the case of commercial-quality video).

But also, you're thinking like a consumer, not like an archivist.  A bit
lost in an achival video *is* a disaster, or at least a serious degradation.

> David's comment about jpeg corruption would be more worrisome if it were
> clear that any significant number of 'consumers' (the immediate subject of my
> original comment in this area) had anything approaching 1 TB of jpegs on
> their systems (which at an average of 1 MB per jpeg would be around a million
> pictures...).  If you include 'image files of various sorts', as he did
> (though this also raises the question of whether we're still talking about
> 'consumers'), then you also have to specify exactly how damaging single-bit
> errors are to those various 'sorts' (one might guess not very for the
> uncompressed formats that might well be taking up most of the space).  And
> since the CERN study seems to suggest that the vast majority of errors likely
> to be encountered at this level of incidence (and which could be caught by
> ZFS) are *detectable* errors, they'll (in the unlikely event that you
> encounter them at all) typically only result in requiring use of a RAID (or
> backup) copy (surel
>  one wouldn't be entrusting data of any real value to a single disk).

They'll only be detected when the files are *read*; ZFS has the "scrub"
concept, but most RAID systems don't, so the error could persist for
years (and through generations of backups) before anybody noticed.

> So I see no reason to change my suggestion that consumers just won't notice
> the level of increased reliability that ZFS offers in this area:  not only
> would the difference be nearly invisible even if the systems they ran on were
> otherwise perfect, but in the real world consumers have other reliability
> issues to worry about that occur multiple orders of magnitude more frequently
> than the kinds that ZFS protects against.

And yet I know many people who have lost data in ways that ZFS would
have prevented.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, [EMAIL PROTECTED]; http://dd-b.net/
Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/