On Nov 10, 2007, at 23:16, Carson Gaspar wrote:

> Mattias Pantzare wrote:
>
>> As the fsid is created when the file system is created it will be the
>> same when you mount it on a different NFS server. Why change it?
>>
>> Or are you trying to match two different file systems? Then you also
>> have to match all inode-numbers on your files. That is not
>> possible at
>> all.
>
> It is, if you do block replication between the servers (drbd on Linux,
> or the Sun product whose name I'm blanking on at the moment).

AVS (or Availability Suite) ..

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/avs/

Jim Dunham does a nice demo here for block replication on zfs (see
sidebar)

> What isn't clear is if zfs send/recv retains inode numbers... if it
> doesn't that's a really sad thing, as we won't be able to use ZFS to
> replace NetApp snapmirrors.

zfs send/recv comes out of the DSL which i believe will generate a
unique fsid_guid .. for mirroring you'd really want to use AVS.

btw - you can also look at the Cluster SUNWnfs agent in the ohac
community:
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/ha-clusters/ohac/downloads/

hth
---