On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 21:23 +0000, A Darren Dunham wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 09:40:59AM -0800, Boris Derzhavets wrote:
> > I was able to create second Solaris partition by running
> >
> > #fdisk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0p0
>
> I'm afraid that won't do you much good.
>
> Solaris only works with one "Solaris" partition at a time (on any one
> disk).  If you have free space that you want to play with, it should be
> within the existing partition (or be on another disk).
>
> > Is it posible to create zfs pool with third partition ?
>
> I doubt it, but I think it more of a general Solaris limitation than
> anything to do with ZFS specifically.

You can't use another Solaris partition but you could use a different
partition ID:

             Total disk size is 9729 cylinders
             Cylinder size is 16065 (512 byte) blocks

                                               Cylinders
      Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
      =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
          1                 IFS: NTFS         0  1043    1044     11
          2                 Linux native   1044  2348    1305     13
          3       Active    Solaris2       2349  4959    2611     27
          4                 Other OS       4960  9728    4769     49

SELECT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
   1. Create a partition
   2. Specify the active partition
   3. Delete a partition
   4. Change between Solaris and Solaris2 Partition IDs
   5. Exit (update disk configuration and exit)
   6. Cancel (exit without updating disk configuration)

Notice partition 4 is "Other OS" which is where I have my zfs pool:

helios(2):> zpool status
  pool: lpool
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool
can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
        pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        lpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          c0d0p4    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

So to create the pool in my case would be: zpool create lpool c0d0p4

--
Mike Dotson