On Nov 16, 2007 10:41 PM, Neil Perrin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Joe Little wrote:
> > On Nov 16, 2007 9:13 PM, Neil Perrin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Joe,
> >>
> >> I don't think adding a slog helped in this case. In fact I
> >> believe it made performance worse. Previously the ZIL would be
> >> spread out over all devices but now all synchronous traffic
> >> is directed at one device (and everything is synchronous in NFS).
> >> Mind you 15MB/s seems a bit on the slow side - especially is
> >> cache flushing is disabled.
> >>
> >> It would be interesting to see what all the threads are waiting
> >> on. I think the problem maybe that everything is backed
> >> up waiting to start a transaction because the txg train is
> >> slow due to NFS requiring the ZIL to push everything synchronously.
> >>

> > I agree completely. The log (even though slow) was an attempt to
> > isolate writes away from the pool. I guess the question is how to
> > provide for async access for NFS. We may have 16, 32 or whatever
> > threads, but if a single writer keeps the ZIL pegged and prohibiting
> > reads, its all for nought. Is there anyway to tune/configure the
> > ZFS/NFS combination to balance reads/writes to not starve one for the
> > other. Its either feast or famine or so tests have shown.
>
> No there's no way currently to give reads preference over writes.
> All transactions get equal priority to enter a transaction group.
> Three txgs can be outstanding as we use a 3 phase commit model:
> open; quiescing; and syncing.

anyway to improve the balance? Is would appear that zil_disable is
still a requirement to get NFS to behave in an practical "real world"
way with ZFS still. Even with zil_disable, we end up with periods of
pausing on the heaviest of writes, and then I think its mostly just
ZFS having too much outstanding i/o to commit.

If zil_disable is enabled, is the slog disk ignored?