On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:01:34PM -0600, Al Hopper wrote:

> a) the SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 is an 8-port SATA card available for
> around $110 IIRC.

Yeah, I'd like to spend a lot less than that, especially as I only need
2 ports. :)

> b) There is also a PCI-X version of the older LSI 4-port (internal)
> PCI Express SAS3041E card which is still available for around $165 and
> works well with ZFS (SATA or SAS drives).

I actually just picked up a SAS3080X for my Ultra80 on ebay for $30. I
guess I can always scour ebay for something similar.

> c) Any card based on the SiliconImage 3124/3132 chips will work.  But,
> ensure you're running an OS with the latest version of the si3124
> drivers - or - you can swap out the older drivers using the files
> from:

the 3124 looks perfect. The only problem is the only thing I found on ebay
was for the 3132, which is PCIe, which doesn't help me. :) I'm not finding
anything for 3124 other than the data on silicon image's site.  Do you know
of any cards I should be looking for that uses this chip?

These will be OS disks, and I'm willing to run whichever version is best
for this hardware and ZFS (I'm going to try the most recent SXCE once
I have all the hardware together).  Any recommendations as related to
this card?

-brian
--
"Perl can be fast and elegant as much as J2EE can be fast and elegant.
In the hands of a skilled artisan, it can and does happen; it's just