Ross wrote:
> Flexible is right.  I knew Unix / Linux traditionally make it possible to do
> a lot from the command line, but having never used them I'd just assumed they
> were basically very similar to windows, but with a whole load of extra
> overhead because of all the commands you had to learn.
>
> But after just one day with Solaris I've realised Unix is very, very
> different to windows, and "flexible" means an awful lot more in Unix than it
> does in Windows.

Yes, this is a philosophical difference between UNIX and Windows (nee VMS).
The saying goes something like this: with VMS you would spend an hour trying
to figure out what options to choose to get something done.  With UNIX you
spend an hour figuring out what commands to string together to get something
done.

> Just seeing picker's script is mind boggling for a windows admin.  I'd
> wondered why ZFS didn't have any compression options for zfs send, now I know
> why:  There's just no need in a Unix system.  In windows, if ZFS didn't
> support compression that would be it, in Unix, streams mean there's no need
> for every program to re-invent features like that, and I can use whatever
> compression program I think is best.

Welcome to the UNIX world :-)
 -- richard