I have an Asus P5K WS motherboard with a cheap Core 2 Duo CPU (E2140,
$70 or so) and one of the cheap SuperMicro 8-port PCI-X SATA cards.
That gives you 14 supported SATA ports.  Throw 4 GB of RAM into it
(~$100) and then either use 500 GB or 750 GB drives.  One of the
Seagate 750s is down to $155 this week, which puts it close enough to
the 500s ($90-120) that it might be worth considering.  I threw
everything into a Lian Li PC-V2000A Plus II case, which is kind of
pricy (compared to cheap PC cases, not compared to STK hardware :-)
but holds 12 drives without any problem at all, and 20 drives with a
bit of extra hardware.  Before drives, the whole system's well under
$1k, and it's been working perfectly for months now.

I'm using raidz2 across 8 drives, but if I had it to do again, I'd
probably just use mirroring.  Unfortunately, raidz2 kills your random
read and write performance, and that makes Time Machine really, really
slow.  I'm running low on space now, and considering throwing another
8 drives into the case in the spring, if I can find a cheap 8-port
PCI-E SATA CARD.  When that happens, I'll probably try to convert
everything to mirroring.

Scott